Have you ever had one of those days where you knew it was going to be hectic workday moment you started power walking from the parking lot to your senior living community and rushing through the front doors as if the fire alarm was going off? This can be a recipe for stress. Senior living caregivers feel it. Senior Living administrators feel it. And without taking the right measures, stress can affect your heart.
Let’s begin by stepping out of the box, developing some healthy habits and making them a routine! Whether you’re a loved one living in an assisted living community or a Hedge Fund Manager on Wall Street, we’ve selected our top five habits to unplug stress and plug-in love.
1. Slow Down – Easier said than done. However, when your mind is moving faster than your movements, just take a step back, have a seat and take a deep breath. Planning ahead will alleviate the pressure!
2. Socialize More – Taco Tuesday is a popular social media trend but can also be fun to attend with co-workers. Regardless of what you do, as long as you’re socializing with people you care about, socialization is the best medicine.
3. Make Time to Laugh – Go out with that one friend or family member that could have been the host of the Tonight Show in another life.
4. Giving Back – Volunteering is a highly effective way to relieve stress. Unless you’re Darth Vader, then most of us feel better about ourselves when we help others out and have the opportunity to put a smile on someone’s face.
5. Don’t Sweat the Small Things – Rome wasn’t built in a day. Build your personal schedule, include fitness in your morning routine, take breaks daily, and sprinkle some of the items above!
At Oaks Senior Living, we plan activities to make sure residents are relaxing and maintain an active life style. Staff members enjoy themselves in the process! Each calendar has a social community available for viewing: Braselton, Post Road and Hampton.
For more stress-fighting tips visit the American Heart Association.