There is a lot involved in being a family caregiver. You care for an older parent or relative, while likely juggling responsibilities in your personal life, such as your career and a family of your own. During times of stress, it can be easy to overlook certain tasks and let responsibilities slip.
When you are the primary caregiver of an individual, forgetting important details is not only inconvenient, it can be extremely dangerous to your parent or relative’s health. So, how can you improve the management of all your caregiving duties and personal responsibilities?
Thanks to the development of technology, many applications have been created to support family caregivers in their daily lives. Oaks Senior Living, with senior care communities located throughout Georgia, understands the unique stresses that family caregivers face. To help you provide better care for your parent or relative, we have gathered a list of apps that can help family caregivers manage their caregiving duties.
This app serves many purposes and is often called the “health information organizer.” As a family caregiver, you have a lot of tasks to accomplish each day, making it difficult to keep track of what has and has not been done. The CareZone app lets you create to-do lists, allowing you to see and check off when you have completed a task. This helps you keep track of everything you need to accomplish and make sure that no to-do items are forgotten.
In addition, this application lets you keep track of and store important medical information, such as insurance cards and other details, all in one convenient location.
Other features of the CareZone app include:
- Receive medication alerts and reminders
- Up-to-date medications list
- News about your parent or relative’s illness, disability, or condition
It is important to be observant of your older parent or relative’s condition. When you go to a doctor’s appointment, and he or she asks questions about the illness or condition, being as specific and as detailed as possible helps to get the correct diagnosis and care. The Symple app can help you in monitoring your parent or relative’s condition.
Symple allows you to journal and track your parent or relative’s feelings, emotions, symptoms, sleep patterns, overall well-being, and more.
Additional features of the Symple app include:
- Coordinates with Apple Health to import steps and sleep
- Uses timestamped photos to keep a record of when specific medications were taken
- Quickly navigate past data through an interactive calendar
- Secured with a passcode or fingerprint ID
First Aid by American Red Cross
It is extremely beneficial for individuals to know how to handle emergency situations and perform first aid; however, it is even more important for family caregivers. The American Red Cross has created an app that guides individuals through handling first aid emergencies, such as CPR.
Features of the American Red Cross First Aid app include:
- Simple step-by-step instructions for everyday first aid scenarios
- Prioritized steps to take during an emergency, with a 9-1-1 call button
- Sharable badges to be unlocked through interactive quizzes
- Videos and animations to make learning first aid fun and easy
- Safety and preparedness tips for a range of severe weather
- Preloaded content that gives instant access to all safety information at any time
***Downloading the application is not a substitute for first aid training or certification***
As a family caregiver, to provide the best care for your older parent or relative, you must take care of your own health. Feelings of stress and anxiety can take away from the quality of care that you are able to offer. The Sanvello app was designed to help individuals deal with these feelings and teaches them how to practice self-care and promote wellness in mental health.
Features of the app include:
- Daily mood tracking
- Guided journeys and therapies
- Coping tools
- Self-progress assessments
- Interact with other members of the app to find words of encouragement and inspiration
- Access expert advice through Sanvello coaching
- Reserve live therapy sessions with a licensed professional
At Oaks Senior Living, we want to help family caregivers navigate and manage their daily caregiving duties and responsibilities. Through our respite care services, we can offer family caregivers a break to tend to their own needs and wellness. To learn more about the services we offer, contact an Oaks Senior Living community.