It is well-known and scientifically proven that interaction with a gentle, friendly pet has significant benefits. A dog can invoke so much joy amongst a group of seniors. Dogs are a connection to the past, to family, to children and grandchildren, to a less complicated time when major success was teaching your dog to fetch the ball. Dogs represent camaraderie, loyalty, and faith. They are dependable, upbeat, compassionate, and they remind us of what it means to love unconditionally.
The Oaks at Hampton has always had a therapy dog in the building. When Oaks at Hampton opened in 2014 Gracie ruled the roost. Gracie was a 16-year-old Golden Retriever who won the hearts of all who knew her. When Gracie passed away in May of 2016 finding a replacement was not going to be an easy task. We polled our residents as to whether they wanted to raise a new puppy or introduce a teenage dog. They choose the teenager, and the search was on.
When Easton walks into a room, heads turn. Easton is a 2-year-old, cream-colored Golden Retriever. Her previous owner, a breeder, was a baseball coach - so he named her after the Easton Baseball Bat company. While Easton has quite a bit more spunk than Gracie did in her final days, she won the hearts of everyone at Oaks at Hampton very quickly.
Many don’t realize all of the benefits of having an animal in their lives.
For Physical Health
- lowers blood pressure
- improves cardiovascular health
- releases endorphins (oxytocin) that have a calming effect
- diminishes overall physical pain
- the act of petting produces an automatic relaxation response, reducing the amount of medication some folks need
For Mental Health
- lifts spirits and lessens depression
- decreases feelings of isolation and alienation
- encourages communication
- provides comfort
- increases socialization and sense of community
- reduces boredom
- decreases anxiety
- helps children overcome speech and emotional disorders
- creates motivation for the client to recover faster
- reduces loneliness
Come visit The Oaks at Hampton and get a big hug and a kiss from Easton!!